Location: EMBL-EBI, Hinxton, near Cambridge, UK
Staff Category: Staff Member
Contract Duration: 3 years
Your responsibilities will include:
- Spearheading the coordination and development of BioJS components within EMBL-EBI;
- Establishing coherent policies and guidelines for wider BioJS developers at EMBL-EBI;
- Development of a robust testing framework for BioJS components;
- Code reviews and assisting developers at EMBL-EBI to provide high quality components;
- Helping to maintain the BioJS registry at EMBL-EBI and support community development;
- Improving documentation procedures in BioJS;
- Assisting in further improving the BioJS framework in areas such as dependency, deployment and conventions.
You will be closely involved with the Centre for Therapeutic Target Validation (CTTV). The CTTV is a public-private initiative to generate evidence on the validity of therapeutic targets based on genome-scale experiments and analysis.
EMBL-EBI provides a dynamic, international working environment and has close ties with both the University of Cambridge and the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute. EMBL-EBI staff enjoy many benefits including excellent sports facilities, a free shuttle bus to Cambridge and other nearby centres, an active sports and social club and an attractive working environment set in 55 acres of parkland.
Qualifications and Experience
Desired skills include –
- 5+ years’ experience in software development organizations with direct involvement in design, coding, test and troubleshooting;
- Solid understanding of HTML / HTML5;
- CSS / CSS3 experience;
- Experience in Unit, UI testing and performance tools;
- REST and SOAP Web Services with JSON and XML;
- Experience of graphical development using API’s and libraries e.g. WebGL, Canvas, D3 etc.;
- Working knowledge of UNIX / Linux Systems;
- Experience using version control systems, especially Git.
As well as technical ability, you must be able to demonstrate the ability to work well with colleagues and to collaborate with external partners. You must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills and enjoy working in a stimulating and international culture. An interest or experience in science, especially life sciences, would be advantageous.
Please apply online through www.embl.org/jobs
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.
We welcome applicants from all nationalities. Visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.